Seven Plants That Are Highly Toxic To Pets

The month of March is Pet Poison Awareness Month and here at Flexpet, we thought it would be a good idea to remind everyone that what is safe for humans does not necessarily mean it is safe for our pets. There are certain plants and flowers that can be highly toxic and even life-threatening to our furry companions. If you suspect your dog or cat has ingested something poisonous, time is of the essence. Immediately take your pet to the veterinarian and/or call the Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: 1-888-426-4435.

Poisonous Plants

This is a list of seven common plants that have been reported as having harmful effects on animals or intense effects causing vomiting or diarrhea. Also, please note that the information contained in this list are plants that are more frequently encountered. For a comprehensive list of pet toxic plants take a look at this list provided by the ASPCA. Furthermore, remember that eating any plant material may cause vomiting and gastrointestinal upset for dogs and cats, and does not necessarily mean they have been poisoned. Often dogs and cats will eat grass to purge themselves.

Lilies – Easter time is a common time people gift or purchase lilies. During this time of year, they are found at nearly every grocery store. However, these plants and flowers are highly toxic to pets – they are especially lethal to cats. Vomiting, inappetence, lethargy, and kidney failure are all side effects of eating lily plants.

Azaleas – These come in many colors and are beautiful plants but if a pet consumes one it may result in vomiting, diarrhea, hypersalivation, weakness, coma, hypotension, CNS depression, cardiovascular collapse, and death. Ingestion of even just a few azalea leaves can irritate your dog’s mouth and cause gastrointestinal issues.

Tulips are a favorite Springtime flower for many people. Although the entire plant of a tulip is poisonous to dogs, just like with many other plants, it is the bulb that is the most poisonous to dogs. Eating this part can cause significant oral irritation, intense vomiting, depression, diarrhea, hypersalivation, drooling and lack of appetite.

Rhododendron – All parts of the plant are toxic, but the leaves contain a higher percentage of the toxicity. Dried plant parts are also poisonous to your pet. Vomiting, diarrhea, hypersalivation, weakness, coma, hypotension, CNS depression, cardiovascular collapse, and death may occur.

Hyacinth – these flowers, similar to tulips are considered poisonous plants to pets. The toxic principle of these plants is very concentrated in the bulbs (versus the leaf or flower), and when ingested in large amounts, can result in severe clinical signs such as intense vomiting, diarrhea, depression and tremors.

Daffodil – All parts of the daffodil plant are considered poisonous, but the daffodil bulb is the most poisonous to dogs and cats. Eating any part of a daffodil can cause vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, heart arrhythmias, convulsions and a serious drop in blood pressure.

Sago Palm – This palm tree is an extremely poisonous plant to dogs when ingested, causing bloody vomiting and diarrhea, bleeding disorders, liver failure, and death. This small palm is often kept as a houseplant, making it more likely that your pet’s curiosity may get the best of him.

Remember, by no means is this is a complete list, if you’re unsure about a specific flower or plant, it’s important to research the name and check its toxicity. If you suspect your pet has ingested a poisonous substance, take them to the vet immediately. At Flexpet, we care about animals and keeping them as healthy as possible. We have a fantastic and knowledgeable customer care team available to answer any of your questions about our products and how they may help your four-legged friend. You can follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, email, or by phone at 1-800-505-0575.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *