Not only are there a ton of different brands of dog food, but then there’s the type of dog food – wet vs. dry. How do you know which type to pick? Generally speaking, wet food is better for dogs than dry food. This is because wet food has fewer carbohydrates. Carbs are more difficult for dogs to digest. And, wet food has more water, which helps hydrate dogs.
Of course, every pooch is an individual. Before you change up any routine, go over the options with your veterinarian. Use what you know about your dog’s health and personality to make your decisions. Whether it’s wet or dry food, you want your dog’s nutrition to work best for your pet. Both dry dog food and wet dog food can provide nutritionally balanced diets, but the major difference is in the way they are processed.
Processing of Wet and Dry Dog Food
Wet food processing begins with grinding the protein sources, or meat ingredients. Then a gravy that contains vitamins, minerals, and grains is added. Once those are mixed, the food is cooked and sterilized to produce the product in a can or sealed pouch.
As a result, wet food has a much higher moisture content than dry food. You can see the percentage of maximum moisture on the label, under the Guaranteed Analysis section. Dry food might have around 10% moisture, while wet food will have something like 60-75% moisture.
Dry food contains very similar ingredients, but instead of adding gravy and canning the product, the meat mixture is pulverized in order to create a consistent dough that is cooked. After cooking, the dough is extruded through specifically shaped holes to form kibble. The kibble undergoes a drying process and then is sprayed with fats, oils, vitamins, and minerals and packaged before the fats and oils can spoil. Some dry dog food diets also add live probiotics to aid in digestive and immune health.
Benefits of Wet Dog Food
- Higher moisture content: Wet food may be a good choice if your dog doesn’t drink as much water as it should, or if they have a medical condition that benefits from proper hydration. One example would be a dog with urinary or kidney disease.
- No Preservatives: Because wet food is canned in an air-tight container it is unnecessary to pack it full of preservatives. So, fats and oils sealed inside cans don’t easily become rancid.
- Taste: Canned dog food is often more aromatic and flavorful when compared to dry food. This may encourage sick or older pets to eat if their appetite is decreased.
- Fullness: Wet dog food tends to create a longer-lasting feeling of being full. This is useful in weight management, especially in dogs that seem to have a never-ending appetite.
- Easy to chew: Dogs that have a dental disease or other oral health issues may find wet food easier to chew than dry food.
Benefits of Dry Dog Food
- Dental health benefits: Dry food encourages dogs to chew their food, which aids in preventing tartar buildup and periodontal disease.
- Convenience: In comparison to wet food, dry diets are easier to portion, and they won’t spoil if left out all day. This can be beneficial for dogs that graze.
- Financial reasons: Depending on the brand of food, dry diets may be less expensive to purchase and store long-term.
- Food enrichment: Kibble is easier to integrate into food puzzles and slow feeders that may improve a dog’s quality of life through brain stimulation.
When choosing any type of dog food, it is helpful to have your pet’s needs in mind and to learn how to effectively read a pet food label. You may also consider making your own food for your pet. And, another option is to mix wet and dry. Again, we encourage you to consult your vet to determine your pet’s individual needs.
At Flexpet, we care about you and your pets. We want to help you keep them as healthy as possible. We have a fantastic and knowledgeable customer care team available to answer any of your questions about our joint supplement products and how they may help your dog or cat. If your dog has joint pain issues, we invite you to try Flexpet today and start your dog on the journey to playing like a pup again. Flexpet is so confident it is the best joint supplement for dogs and cats it comes with a 90-day satisfaction guarantee. Our Flexpet joint care supplements have excellent reviews on social media. You can follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, email, or by phone at 1-800-505-0575.