It is important that the water we drink is fresh and free of contaminants. And, that we like the taste of it as well. This is just as important for our pets. Water carries important nutrients in and out of the cells of your pet’s body, helping it to digest and absorb them. In fact, water is the single most important factor in your pet’s proper nutrition. In most cases, tap water is safe for dogs to drink. However, there are some factors to consider, such as the quality of your tap water and your dog’s individual health needs.
- If your tap water is safe to drink for humans, it is also safe for your dog. Most municipal water systems in the United States meet or exceed federal standards for drinking water quality. However, if you have concerns about the safety of your tap water, you can contact your local water utility for more information.
- Dogs with certain health conditions may need to drink filtered or bottled water. For example, dogs with kidney disease or urinary tract infections may benefit from drinking filtered water, which can remove some of the minerals that can irritate the urinary tract. Dogs with allergies or sensitivities may also do better drinking bottled water, which is less likely to contain contaminants.
- Some dogs prefer the taste of filtered or bottled water. If your dog doesn’t seem to like the taste of their tap water, you can try giving them filtered or bottled water instead. Just be sure to choose water free of added minerals and electrolytes, as these can harm dogs in large amounts.
Ultimately, the best way to determine what kind of water is best for your dog is to talk to your veterinarian. They can help you assess your dog’s individual needs and make recommendations for the type of water that will be safest and most beneficial for them.
Here are some additional tips for keeping your dog hydrated:
- Provide your dog with fresh, clean water at all times. Change the water in their bowl daily and more often if it gets dirty or stagnant.
- Place water bowls in different areas of your home so your dog always has easy access to water. This is especially important if your dog is active or spends a lot of time outdoors.
- Make sure your dog drinks plenty of water when they are hot or exercising. Offer them ice cubes or cool water to help them stay hydrated.
- Avoid giving your dog sugary drinks or water that contains added minerals or electrolytes. These can be harmful to dogs in large amounts.
- Room temp or cold? It turns out that dogs prefer cool or cold water just like many of us. Drop some ice cubes in their bowl – especially on a hot summer day.
By following these tips, you can help your dog stay hydrated and healthy.
At Flexpet, we care about you and your pets. We want to help you keep them as healthy as possible. Our Flexpet joint care supplements are highly reviewed and they are made in the USA from human-grade US-sourced ingredients. Not only do they repair joints, but they also boost pets’ energy levels. Our fantastic and knowledgeable customer care team is available to answer any of your questions about our joint supplement products and how they may help your dog or cat. You can follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and email, or contact us by phone at 1-800-505-0575.