Stiff and achy joints can be painful and frustrating. If your dog is suffering from joint pain, you may have heard that glucosamine can help. Glucosamine is one of the most popular supplements for pups (and with good reason). But because of this, all the information out there can seem overwhelming. So in an effort to help out, we’ve done the work and compiled all the essentials in one place. Here’s the complete guide to glucosamine for dogs.
Glucosamine is a naturally occurring compound made of glucose (a sugar) and glutamine (an amino acid). This compound is essential for maintaining healthy cartilage and joint function. It is an essential building block of cartilage. Glucosamine stimulates the growth of cartilage cells and it has also been known to normalize the synovial fluid which lubricates joints.
Dogs naturally produce glucosamine. However, over time, natural production becomes inadequate at preventing joint damage. Therefore it must be supplemented. If you have a dog suffering from arthritis, joint supplements containing glucosamine help boost their reserve of this crucial nutrient. While glucosamine is not a cure for degenerative joint disease, it can help your dog feel more comfortable and stay mobile longer. It can also be a preventative if taken before joint pain starts.
Are there different types of glucosamine?
Before browsing joint supplements for dogs, there are several distinct types of glucosamine you should know because each work slightly differently.
- Glucosamine sulfate is best and should be present in high-quality joint supplements. It’s extracted from shellfish and mussels, but it can also be produced synthetically. This type is considered the best glucosamine because it contains sulfur, which is vital to cartilage repair.
- Glucosamine hydrochloride is also extracted from shellfish and mussels. However, this type lacks sulfur, so glucosamine hydrochloride is usually less effective as a dietary supplement.
- N-acetyl-glucosamine is usually derived from glucose, which helps create the synovial fluid and hyaluronic acid that lubricates joints. This form is also common, but more often used for gut health rather than joint repair.
What Are the Benefits of Glucosamine for Dogs?
Dog joint supplements containing glucosamine can have tremendous benefits for your dog’s joint health. Overall, research indicates that glucosamine:
- Helps lubricate dog joints for less painful movement
- Reduces inflammation in the joints (chronic inflammation is the enemy of healthy joints)
- Improves overall joint health for increased mobility
Glucosamine supplements help stimulate cartilage growth and thicken synovial fluid, improving joint function and slowing the progression of arthritis. This means less stiffness and discomfort for your dog. This is why glucosamine supplements can help many dogs resume their normal activity levels, as they are no longer dealing with constant, chronic pain.
How Flexpet May Help
Flexpet is a safe and all-natural way to help relieve pet joint pain and improve pet quality of life. Flexpet is the only pet product on the market using CM8. It’s designed to help with joint discomfort and inflammation in pets – without the use of prescription medication. Flexpet has been on the market for 20 years and is recommended by veterinarians. Flexpet is highly reviewed on Amazon by verified purchasers. Furthermore, Flexpet is made from human-grade ingredients, in the USA. including glucosamine sulfate – the best type of glucosamine for dogs’ joints.
We strive to make it as easy as possible for new users to try Flexpet. We give a money-back guarantee so there is no risk. If you don’t feel like you saw results from Flexpet, you can return the empty bottles/pouches and we’ll refund your full purchase price (minus shipping and handling). We also have a fantastic and knowledgeable customer care team available to answer all of your questions at 1-800-505-0575.
Flexpet is available in a maximum strength soft chew product for large dogs and those in severe pain, as well as a regular strength chewable tablet (our standard formula). Both forms are tasty treats for our pets so they won’t even know they’re taking a supplement. If you have a dog who is suffering from joint discomfort, we encourage you to give Flexpet a try. You have nothing to lose but your dog’s pain!