Muscle atrophy is a condition that causes the muscles to waste away. It can affect any muscle in the body, but it is most common in the thigh muscles of dogs. There are a number of reasons why a dog may experience a decrease in thigh muscle mass, including:
- Age. As dogs age, their muscles naturally start to atrophy. This is because the body produces less growth hormone as it ages.
- Lack of exercise. Dogs need regular exercise to maintain muscle mass. If a dog is not getting enough exercise, their muscles will start to atrophy.
- Injury or surgery. If a dog has been injured or had surgery, they may experience a decrease in thigh muscle mass as a result of the trauma.
- Disease. There are a number of diseases that can cause muscle atrophy in dogs, including diabetes, cancer, and kidney disease.
Muscle Atrophy in Dogs
If you notice that your dog has a decrease in thigh muscle mass, it is important to take them to the veterinarian to determine the cause. Once the cause is known, the veterinarian can recommend treatment options. In some cases, treatment may involve simply increasing the amount of exercise your dog gets. In other cases, medication or surgery may be necessary.
There are a number of things you can do to help prevent muscle atrophy in your dog. These include:
- Make sure your dog gets regular exercise. Aim for at least 30 minutes of moderate exercise per day.
- Feed your dog a high-quality diet that is rich in protein. Protein is essential for muscle growth and repair.
- Keep your dog’s weight under control. Obesity can put stress on the muscles and lead to atrophy.
- Avoid over-exercising your dog. Too much exercise can actually damage the muscles.
- Take your dog to the veterinarian for regular checkups. This will allow your veterinarian to catch any potential problems early on.
- Consider a high-quality Joint Supplement. Joint supplements give your pet more energy and less pain from inflammation.
By following these tips, you can help keep your dog’s muscles healthy and strong.
At Flexpet, we care about you and your pets. We want to help you keep them as healthy as possible. Our Flexpet joint care supplements are highly reviewed and they are made in the USA from human-grade US-sourced ingredients. Not only do they repair joints, but they also boost pets’ energy levels. Our fantastic and knowledgeable customer care team is available to answer any of your questions about our joint supplement products and how they may help your dog or cat. You can follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, email, or contact us by phone at 1-800-505-0575.